Monday, November 21, 2011

Julep polishes

I recently received my first Julep box and wanted to do a quick review on the polishes that I received.

First was "Shania", which Julep describes as a pearly, silver-champagne. Maybe I don't know the actual color champagne, but when I hear it, I think of maybe a light pink or off white. And this wasn't exactly what I would call pearly, either. I would have described it as a light silver-grey. It had a tad bit of what looked like more of a foilishness (wow, that's a new word) to it, that made it look almost silver.


As you can see, I have quite a few other colors like it. In person, the Revlon and Skull & Glossbones were very similar. Sally Hansen was just a shade darker and the other two OPI's were significantly darker. I guess the main difference was that none of them had the 'pearly' dimension to them that Shania did. Overall, I was much more pleased with this color than I had thought I would be.

From L to R: OPI Suzi Takes the Wheel, Revlon Winter Mist, Julep Shania, OPI Skull & Glossbones, Sally Hansen Wet Cement, OPI A French Quarter For Your Thoughts 

The second polish that was sent to me was "Lindsay", a deep, dark burgundy. I will try to swatch this again at another time, but the first time I swatched it was just awful. I don't know if it was me or the polish, but it went on uneven, gloopy, and thick. It was so dark it looked almost black except for around the bottom where there was tons of pulling. To me, this was just a hard polish to work with.

I had quite a few similar colors to this, as well. This type of color used to be my favorite to buy as evidenced by the Sally Hansen and NYC's which where some of my first polishes that I bought (this was a few years ago) and I still refuse to let them go! While some of these lean a little more red and others a little more purple, I believe that with the red ones, especially Lincoln Center and SSD, if there were enough coats, they would look pretty identical. 

 L to R: Sally Hansen Chocolate Nut, NYC Canal Street, OPI Suzi Says Da!, NYC Lincoln Center, Julep Lindsay, OPI We'll Always Have Paris, Wet 'N Wild Buy Me A Drink, Zoya Mikka

Also, they sent a bottle of exfoliating hand soap, which I didn't notice a difference right away, but maybe after using it for an extended period of time I will notice. There were two samples of lotion, as well.

 For five dollars, the Julep Maven box is a good deal, but I was expecting something a little more unique I guess as far as the colors went. This is something I would be interested in if it was less expensive...maybe around ten bucks or with opportunities for discounted boxes, but twenty dollars is a bit much especially for polish that I didn't feel had any more redeeming qualities than OPI or CG, which I can get for a fraction of the price of Julep. 

If you are interested in trying Julep, click here and use the code "November5" at check out to receive your first box for $5!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I was on the same page as you. Thankfully for me though, they were new colors in my collection. But you're much farther along in your addiction than I am. LOL!!! Still, it was just regular old polish. And as for the gloppy polish, that's what I bought you a squirty eye dropper bottle thing(that's the scientific name) for. Put a squirt of acetone in the bottle. Shake it up. And that should do the trick. But no way the polish should be like that out of the box. That's lame. New polish is supposed to be nice an runny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean, I can't talk too much shit because I can't honestly say that once I start working again, I won't sign back up. lol. We'll see. I like getting stuff in the mail.

    ReplyDelete