Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Mexican Casserole Recipe

I am always looking for new things to do with chicken, and this was a great departure away from a normal 'taco night'. lol.

This recipe is for 5 servings, so if you are cooking for a larger group, you will probably want to increase the ingredients and use a 9x13 pan.

The nice thing about this is that there is a lot of play in the ingredients. You can add as much salsa, rice, cheese, tortillas as you like. Also, I'm sure you could do many different things with the flavor of it, but this is just the basic recipe.

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 pound cubed skinless, boneless chicken breast meat
  • 1/2 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, undrained
  • 1 (8.75 ounce) can sweet corn, undrained
  • 1/2 cup salsa
  • 1 cup Minute Rice
  • Shredded Mexican-style cheese
  • Crushed plain tortilla chips

Directions

  1. In a large skillet over medium high heat, saute chicken in oil until cooked through and no longer pink inside. Add taco seasoning, beans, corn, and salsa. Cover skillet and simmer over medium low heat for 10 minutes.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  3. Transfer chicken mixture to a 8x8 inch baking dish. Mix in rice.
  4. Top with cheese and crushed tortilla chips.
  5. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Add more cheese and bake until cheese is melted and bubbly.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds great, and I have a TON of minute rice that I got on sale a couple of months ago. I'm pretty sure I have the rest of the ingredients too. I think I know what's for dinner tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is VERY good. My fiance loved it, and he doesn't even care much for Mexican type food. My daughter also liked it, and being 3, she's a pretty picky eater. lol. I love Mexican food, so I am pretty biased.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Following you on GFC and Twitter (@jshallow01) from Tip Toe Tuesday Blog Hop.
    http://savegreenbeinggreen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM!! Stopping by from the hop! Great blog!!

    Anna
    http://www.anewfoundtreasure.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! I am definitely going to have to try this! Thanks!

    www.feathersandfutons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete